What Is Needed To Work In Civil Construction

Posted on

If you are interested in working in land development, you could be working with the man-made or the natural environment either surveying or creating. You could be doing anything from architectural engineering to water resources engineering. The possibilities within this area are endless. There are a variety of jobs within the civil construction category. What do you need to acquire one of those jobs if you are interested in land development?


Before you begin experimenting and learning first-hand, you will need a degree. This degree will help expand your knowledge about other fields of land development, and you may find a specific area of civil engineering that really fits your skills (perhaps a field which you did not previously know about). Additionally, education will help you learn safety techniques to protect you and others on the worksite. Last of all, you will learn mechanics, statistics, math, and fluid dynamics, doing a bit of hands on exercise. The typical education a civil engineer receives is a Bachelor's degree in any of the following areas: civil engineering, engineering technology, or one of the specific areas of engineering such as water resources engineering. However, receiving a degree in a specific field may be too narrow. If there are no open jobs in that area, you will not have the knowledge to reach out to other civil construction fields. A broader degree allows you to be prepared for various fields.


Before you receive a position in civil construction, you will almost always need some hands on experience first. When you are in your second year of your education, you should begin applying for formal placements, perhaps with smaller companies. Do not wait until you have completely finished your education to get some hands on practice. You can either find a placement during the school year or in the summertime with an internship. If you are not able to find a paid position to give you this experience, try some volunteering. You could help a group with house-building oversees, for instance. An academic advisor at your school should be able to give you advice about open experience positions near your school.


When you are first looking for a land development job, you do not need extra licensing. However, remember that higher licensing can give you a higher position and higher pay. After you have some experience, you may find it is beneficial to receive a Professional Engineering or Fundamentals of Engineering license. These licenses are typically acquired through a self-study course and an exam that tests your knowledge of the material. Once again, this step is not required to begin working.